Saturday, March 28, 2009

Greek Week 2009.

This year I am Vice President of Panhellenic Council (which basically is the governing council of all of the sororities on campus). As part of my position I am responsible for planning Greek Week. Well, let me tell you--I had no idea that planning events was so stressful!! I have always thought that if Architecture falls through I could do Event Planning (random, I know), but after this experience I know there is NO WAY. I had to plan 5 days of events for over 700 people. It has to be fun, educational, service, and draw people in. It's hard to plan events that all of Greek Row would have fun attending, but here is what I planned:

Monday:
Greek Check-In and Kick Off Night (with an educational debate)

Tuesday:
Grizzlies Hockey Game

Wednesday:
Zoo Trip with the Neighborhood House (under privileged children)

Thursday:
Greek Olympics (outdoor games and indoor games such as foosball, pool, ping pong)

Friday:
Greeks Only Party at Squatters Downtown

I had a little over $8,000 to spend on the whole week. We had buses to the hockey game and to the party, we rented out the entire upstairs of Squatters, got buses to bring the kids to the zoo, paid for Greeks to get into the zoo, coordinated the games and teams for the week, and more. Every house is put into teams. DG and Sigma Chi were a team this year, and of course we won Greek Week!! DG was the overall winner too, so we get an air hockey table!! I promise I didn't rig the votes or anything, it was all legit. Overall the week was a success I think. Besides the gas leak at the U and the weather on Wednesday, it was great. People had a lot of fun, and most said it was better than any other Greek Week!! The attendance this year was much, much better than any other year which is great because getting more people to come was one of our biggest goals. It was a great experience for me to plan this week and I have learned a lot. Here are some pictures.




No comments: